- Dramatic cylindrical shape with brilliantly colored golden spikes contrasting against green skin. Great for Southwestern styles. Use in containers, rock gardens, in groupings or as a single specimen. Hardy to 15-20 deg. F. Slow grower. Extremely drought tolerant. Needs well-drained soils. Suitable for Xeriscape. US Southwest region native golden barrel cactus for sale.
- The Golden Barrel Cactus is one of our most sought after and popular varieties of cacti. Named for its unmistakable shape and bright golden tint, the Golden Barrel Cactus grows very slowly, allowing landscapers to ensure the perfectly round shape stays that way. Each ‘ridge’ of the cacti is covered in straight golden barrel cactus for sale , lightly-colored thorns that create a screen of coverage providing this cactus with its golden tint. As an added spectacle of desert beauty, Golden Barrel Cactus produce a cluster of yellow flowers from the top of the plant, producing a yellow fruit when ripe. Plant Golden Barrel Cactus in rows, planters, or corners of landscapes to add a uniquely Arizonan touch to your yard.
Forms a lovely golden ball, is slow growing and has very sharp spines. Takes full sun to part shade and looks great in a pot as a feature or in any garden. I have only ever seen them get to approx 60cm tall x 50 cm wide but in nature I think they do get bigger. Perfect landscaping plant and for any water wise garden golden barrel cactus for sale .
This is an 130mm pot, Picture is representative of what you will receive, but may vary slightly because no two succulents are the same.
golden barrel cactus for sale
- Position: bright but indirect light
- Soil: specialist cacti compost
- Rate of growth: slow
- Hardiness: tender (indoors only)
- Current height: approximately 10cm (including pot)
- Pot cover: choose a 10cm pot cover to give a good fit over the pot
Cacti are great plants for busy people who want something to sit on a sunny windowsill, but don’t want to spend too much time looking after them. This beautifully rounded, glossy green cactus has distinct deep ribs running down the plant, with clutches of golden yellow radial spines protruding out. Native to Mexico, in its natural habitat this cactus can grow to a large plant with funnel-shaped yellow flowers from mid-summer. Though unlikely to flower in the UK, it really is an attractive plant just as it is golden barrel cactus for sale .
Please note: you may receive one, two or three small plants in the same pot. The pot in the photograph is not supplied with the plant (which is sent out in a simple nursery pot). They do however make excellent potted plants, and if you wish to pot yours up, we do have a wide range of pots on our website to choose from golden barrel cactus for sale .
- Home care: Place it in a bright spot and in spring and summer, water when the compost gets dry, but make sure it never sits in excess water for any length of time. In autumn cut back on the water and keep it almost dry throughout the winter – watering only if it starts to look a bit shrivelled golden barrel cactus for sale . Avoid a humid atmosphere (no bathrooms or steamy kitchens) and in the warmer months, open a window or door occasionally so it can enjoy the fresh air. Repot every year or two into a slightly larger pot using cacti compost. You will find it easier to tackle if you concertina a couple of sheets of newspaper and then fold these around the spines, leaving a ‘tail’ that you can use to lift the plant out of one pot and into another. Otherwise invest in some thorn-proof gloves golden barrel cactus for sale !